Pot Roast with Cranberry Sauce
My friends rave about the different taste the cranberry sauce gives to this roast, and I couldn't agree more. I've made the sauce ahead of time and frozen it, which saves preparation time on a busy schedule.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hour 40 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rump or chuck roast (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, grated
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Combine the flour, garlic, salt and pepper; rub over the roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Add the broth, onion, cinnamon and cloves. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the cranberries, orange and sugar in a saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until the berries burst and the mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices, reserving 2 cups. Stir vinegar and reserved pan juices into the cranberry sauce. Slice roast; serve with cranberry sauce.