With fresh tomatillos, green chilies and hominy, this hearty, healthy soup nods to authentic Mexican fare. Family and friends frequently request it when they’re invited for dinner.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, sliced
- 8 tomatillos, husks removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until pork is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 278 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1178mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Posole Verde in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.