Portuguese Pork Tenderloin
I won a contest to attend a cooking school in Portugal, where the chef laughed at all ideas of cooking light. This is my version of one his recipe, where I cut back on the olive oil and heavy cream. It reminds me of the flavors of Miguel's roast, but I don't feel guilty about eating it.—Jessie Grearson-Sapat, Falmouth, Maine
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tawny port wine or grape juice
- 1 cup pitted dried plums
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Additional fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the red wine, port wine, plums and rosemary. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 25-30 minutes. Remove rosemary and discard. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle pork with remaining pepper and salt. In a large skillet, brown pork in remaining oil; remove and keep warm.
- Add the broth, cream cheese, cream and plum mixture to skillet; cook over medium-low heat until blended. Return pork to the pan; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve pork and sauce with potatoes. Garnish with additional rosemary if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 595 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 49g protein.
Originally published as Portugese Pork Tenderloin Simmered in Plum Sauce with Peppery Pan-Rosted Potatoes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012