With beef and smoked sausage, this meaty dressing is different from many other dressing and stuffing recipes. It’s delicious alongside roasted chicken or turkey for holidays or any occasion. I like to use chourico, a Portuguese specialty sausage that’s popular in our area.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set beef mixture aside. In the same skillet, saute the sausage, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and allspice for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the beef mixture, sausage mixture and stuffing cubes. Add the broth, egg and parsley; mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with butter.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Portuguese Dressing in Country Extra November 2006, p49