Our Test Kitchen home economists came up with this easy-to-fix meatless entree. Fontina cheese and marinara sauce give a real Italian flavor to this satisfying twist on eggplant Parmesan.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps (about 4 to 5 inches wide)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms. Place mushrooms, cap side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush tops with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Spread half of the spaghetti sauce into an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place mushrooms on sauce, cap side down. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with remaining spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 148 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Portabello Parmesano in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007