Portobello Wellingtons with Spinach Pistachio Pesto
These tasty and elegant mushrooms take their cue from the classic beef Wellington; simply omit the ham/prosciutto to make this a completely meatless meal. —TerryAnn Moore, Vineland, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes6 servings (about 1 cup pesto)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) fresh enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 4 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 6 large portobello mushrooms (4-inch diameter), stems removed
- 1/4 cup Vidalia onion salad dressing
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2/3 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until tender. Add water, rice mix, contents of seasoning packet, enoki mushrooms, prosciutto and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Brush portobello mushrooms with salad dressing. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each pastry sheet into a 15x10x1-in. rectangle. Cut out six 5-in. circles from each rectangle. Place a mushroom in the center of six circles. Spoon 1/2 cup rice mixture over each mushroom. Top with remaining circles. Press edges to seal.
- Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Brush pastry with egg; sprinkle with pistachios. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for pesto, place spinach, pistachios, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Serve with beef and remaining filling.
Nutrition Facts1 wellington with 3 tablespoons pesto: 915 calories, 57g fat (11g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1051mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 21g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.