VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 5 inches), stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (18 ounces) polenta, cut into 12 slices
- 1 large tomato, cut crosswise into four slices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes (do not allow to brown). Stir in vinegar; remove from heat.
- Place mushrooms in a 13x9-in. baking dish, gill side up. Brush with vinegar mixture; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with polenta and tomato slices; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until mushrooms are tender, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Polenta Stacks in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016