Portobello Crab Open-Faced Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches), stems removed
- FOR SERVING:
- 2 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1 cup watercress
- Broil the large red pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place in a food processor; add the yogurt, sherry, garlic, pepper sauce, and salt. Cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- For stuffing, in a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and the chopped red pepper in oil until tender. In a small bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, saltines, parsley, mustard and seasonings. Stir in onion mixture; fold in crab. Spoon filling into mushroom caps. Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is golden brown and mushrooms are tender. Serve on bun halves with watercress and reserved red pepper sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 268 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 7, 2019
Really tasy. A bit labor intensive, so I might cheat and buy the roasted red pepper sauce next time. I used a half sandwich-thin instead oof hambufger roll.
Dec 31, 2014
When I got home I found one of my red peppers went bad so I omitted the red pepper sauce all together. Also, after a couple bites I discarded the toasted bun. So basically what I was left with was a crab cake in a mushroom and boy was it delicious! I used Ritz Crackers as oppose to saltines because I bought a case from a big box store and wasn't about to buy more crackers! The only thing I might do differently is cut down on the amount of crackers that go into the "crab cakes". Otherwise the base recipe was excellent.
Aug 13, 2013
This is an incredible dish....it is a lot easier than it looks :-).... and more filling than you would expect. I Love the way all the ingredients compliment each other!...Please give this a try!!!