Portobello Burgundy Beef
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- Place 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in oil.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; saute until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the carrots, 1-1/2 cups broth, wine, bay leaf, remaining marjoram and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until beef and carrots are tender.
- Combine remaining flour and broth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 384 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 19, 2012
Family loved it
Feb 25, 2012
Very nice weeknight meal. I served it on Valentine's day over heart-shaped pasta. My husband thought it was great. I used the extra broth instead of wine, and it still had plenty of flavor.
Mar 5, 2010
delicious - my husband made this one and loves it - says it's a "keeper"
Feb 9, 2010
The flavor was very good but the meat was a little tough. Next time I'll use another cut of meat.
Jan 22, 2010
Flavor was very good, and the portion size is nice. My only complaint is that the round steak was a little bit tough. I may try swapping out the cut of meat next time.