Portobello Burger with Muffuletta Topping
A tasty tomato-olive mixture, melty cheese and smoky grilled mushroom add so much flavor to this recipe that one taster called it “one of the best mushroom burgers I’ve had.” For a change, switch another cheese or spinach for the provolone and lettuce. —Tamra Duncan, Lincoln, Arkansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 multigrain hamburger bun, split and toasted
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- Brush mushroom with oil and sprinkle with oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill mushroom, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Combine tomato and olives; season with salt and pepper. Spread mayonnaise over bun bottom. Top with lettuce, mushroom, cheese and tomato mixture; replace bun top.
Originally published as Portobello Burger With Muffuletta Topping in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.