Portobello Beef Stew with Cranberry Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, then toss with flour to coat lightly; shake off excess. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat; brown beef. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, saute mushrooms in remaining oil over medium-high heat until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth, wine, thyme and rosemary, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until beef is tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- For pilaf, in a saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute celery and onion until tender. Add rice and cranberries; cook and stir until rice is lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve with stew.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups stew with 3/4 cup rice: 518 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Jan 26, 2013
Easy and delicious! Looks fancy and tastes great without a lot of effort. The only thing I would change is to use a little more stew beef in it next time.
Jan 20, 2011
Very satisfying. Love the pilaf!
Dec 29, 2010
Great without the cranberries :) definately delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.