Portland Cream Doughnuts Recipe
If you don't live near Portland Oregon, you can create your own version of the city's famous doughnut at home. Fresh homemade doughnuts with a touch of nutmeg, creamy filling and a smooth-as-silk chocolate frosting will disappear in minutes. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Vanilla frosting of your choice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, egg, egg yolk, butter, sugar, salt, nutmeg, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, for filling, prepare pudding mix according to package directions. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding; refrigerate until cold.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 3/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into pudding. Refrigerate, covered, while frying doughnuts.
- 6. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
- 7. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a small tip. Fill bag with filling. With a small knife, pierce a hole into the side of each doughnut; pipe filling into hole, allowing some of filling to spill out for a tongue.
- 8. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and hot water.
- 9. Spread tops of doughnuts with glaze; let stand until set. If desired, pipe two small dots of vanilla frosting near the tongue for eyes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Portland Cream Doughnuts
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2014
"These were excellent doughnuts! The best filled doughnuts I have ever made. I live in Portland, OR and was wondering which restaurant they are from ... Definitely will make them again."
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC