Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 to 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, halved lengthwise
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained and halved horizontally
- In a bowl, combine the ham, egg, relish and mustard. Shape 1/3 cupfuls into eight patties the same diameter as the pineapple rings. Combine the sweet potatoes, orange zest, salt and pepper. Shape 1/4 cupfuls into eight patties the same diameter as pineapple rings. On a lightly greased 15x10x1-in. baking sheet, assemble in the following order: Cross 2 strips of bacon, 1 pineapple slice, 1 ham patty, 1 sweet potato patty and 1 pineapple slice. Fold bacon ends up and over tops; secure with a toothpick. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Remove toothpicks; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 545 calories, 33g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1513mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2015
Definitely reminded me of when I was young but the texture was not good for me! Although the idea sounds great. I think I will try it again but with a ham slice.
Mar 3, 2008
Oh my! When I saw this recipe memories started flooding back. My mother used to make these beautiful bundles for her ladies' luncheon meetings in the 1950s and '60s. They smelled so good while baking! If I was lucky, mother would make an extra bundle just for me and I marveled at every tasty bite.I made Porkettes several times myself in the 1970s, but for some reason the dish fell out of my repertoire. I am so excited to rediscover it.