I love all the ingredients in this recipe because together they're perfect for Oktoberfest, a fun festival during my favorite time of the year. Serve the pork and sauerkraut with a hearty dark bread, such as rye or pumpernickel, along with an ice-cold beer. Delicious!—Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennslvania
Featured In: 23 Apple Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 pound center-cut bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sweet white wine or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and leeks over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until bacon is crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place sweet potato and water in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave, covered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender; drain. Stir in bacon mixture, sauerkraut, apple, cranberries, wine, brown sugar, caraway seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Transfer half of the sauerkraut mixture to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle pork with pepper and remaining salt; place in slow cooker. Top with remaining sauerkraut mixture. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until pork is tender (a thermometer inserted in pork should read at least 145°).
- Remove pork from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve pork with sauerkraut. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pork Tenderloin with Cran-Apple Sauerkraut in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p54