My father loved to grow eggplant in his wonderful garden. Through the years. Mother learned to use it often in her cooking. We take pride in keeping this traditional fare in the family.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 large eggplant (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Cut off stem of eggplant; cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out and reserve center, leaving a 1/2-in shell. Steam shells for 3-5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Cube reserved eggplant. In a saucepan, cook eggplant cubes in boiling water for 6-8 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook pork until no longer pink; drain. Add eggplant cubes, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Fill shells; place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over eggplant. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 431 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 1168mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Pork-Stuffed Eggplant in Country Pork