Pork Stew with Green Chiles
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, brown pork in oil. Add the onion, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf; saute until onion is tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add tomatoes and chiles; simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 253 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Mar 2, 2014
This is excellent, not too hot at all. I used one Serrano pepper since I didn't have jalapenos and this didn't seem to matter. So easy to make and leftovers the next day are even better yet! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Dec 19, 2011
I've made this twice, and loved it both times. My family doesn't like it really hot, so I only used one jalapeno. Don't be afraid of the cumin and chopped green chilies - the potatoes mellow them out.