Pork Sausage Hominy
The first time I prepared this recipe, it won first place in a cooking contest sponsored by a local sausage company. It's a very lovely, inexpensive and tasty dish to offer guests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small head lettuce, shredded
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips, broken
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is not longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add hominy; cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes, seasonings and 1 cup cheese. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. To serve, arrange lettuce on a large serving platter; sprinkle with corn chips. Top with meat mixture. Garnish with pepper, tomatoes and remaining cheese.
Originally published as Pork Sausage Hominy in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.