Pork Roast Barbecue
We live in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and pork is a favorite here. I particularly like this recipe because it's prepared the day ahead and only needs to be reheated the next day.
Total TimePrep: 2-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon each brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper, ground mustard and hot pepper sauce
- Sandwich buns, optional
- Place roast in a heavy 5-qt. roaster or Dutch oven. Combine 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon salt; pour over meat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Drain, reserving 1 cup broth. Cool roast for 15 minutes. Cut into thin slices; place in an 11x7-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato puree, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, browning sauce if desired, pepper, mustard, pepper sauce, remaining water and salt and reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the meat once.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before reheating. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve on buns if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 181 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Pork Roast Barbecue in Country August/September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.