Pork Potpie Recipe
Although I determine what foods will appear on our table each night, the whole family decides if the new dishes I try are winners or losers. This hearty potpie was a hands-down keeper!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups diced cooked pork
- 3/4 cup pork gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine 5 tablespoons water egg and vinegar; sprinkle over dry ingredients, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball; add additional water if necessary. Divide into two balls; chill while preparing filling.
- 2. In a saucepan, cook potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in water for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add pork, gravy, rosemary if desired, salt and pepper; set aside.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll one ball of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Fill with meat mixture. Roll remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in top crust and place over filling; seal and flute edges. Brush pastry with cream if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pork Potpie
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2014
"This was good."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC