For a refreshing take on fajitas, try this savory salad suggested by Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "Your crowd will love the festive layers and creamy guacamole," Iola assures.
Recommended: 21 Recipes to Make for Taco Tuesday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (1 inch thick, about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped*
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (11 ounces) salsa
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Sliced ripe olives and green onions
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients. Add pork chops. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Drain, discarding marinade. Grill chops, uncovered, over medium heat for 12-14 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once. Thinly slice pork; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a broil; stir in rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for guacamole, mash avocados with lemon juice. Stir in the tomato, jalapeno, cilantro and onion. In a 5-qt. glass salad bowl, layer lettuce, beans, cheese, pork and guacamole. Spread with salsa. Combine rice and sour cream; spread over salsa. Garnish with olives and green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork Fajita Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p8