- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
"I'm not a big fan of pork chops. Every recipe I've ever tried to make turned out dry and flavorless. I was shocked at how good this was. I followed the directions exactly and used loin chops. Besides the long cook time, it's relatively easy to prepare and doesn't have any crazy ingredients. My husband loved it too. For potatoes without cheese, they were very flavorful. We did add the paprika and (dried not fresh) parsley at the end. Next time I make it I am going to try breading the pork chops in Italian bread crumbs because they were good but I thought there was room for more flavor."
"Followed the recipe except I only baked for 1 hour. My husband said they were the most tender pork chop he had ever had."
"Worst dish ever."
"This recipe received rave reviews from the menfolk in my family. I liked that it was very easy to make. I enjoyed the taste, too."
"great recipe. Since there are only 2 of us, I halved it with no problems. Also made with like amount of chicken broth made with bullion since I was out of broth. Tasted great and met with Husband approval! Watch the salt amount if using bullion or not homemade chicken broth. Skipped extra 30 min uncover time as they were done already."
"First time writing a review but wanted to comment after following some of the other reviewer recommendations. Sadly, I should have tried the recipe first as written but so many said that additional sauce was needed. So rather than double the ingredients, I did a 1.5X the amounts and had enough sauce to sufficiently cover the potatoes. After an hour, I removed the foil and there was so much sauce/juice that the dish was swimming in liquid. I literally spooned out all of the extra sauce which easily made up the extra 1/2 that I added. The potatoes were very tender (used a mandolin for thinner slices) and the sauce was a hit -- delicious. Next time I would brown the chops and only add to the dish at the last 30 minutes of cooking. I used 1 inch chops and they turned out dryer than I'd like. Will make again but without the extra sauce"
"I followed the directions and to me it was a waste of meat. The chops were horrible, very hard. Potatoes were good with the gravy."
"Very tasty and moist! The only thing I would change would be to skip the last 30 minutes uncovered. It seems to dry the pork out. Mine were done in the hour the chops were covered. Delicious!!"
"Absolutely delicious. One of our favorite recipes."
"MMM MMM Good! easy comfort food. Keeper!"