Pork Chops with Mango Relish
A delicate marinade flavors these pork chops with the fragrant seasonings of India and tenderizes the meat at the same time. Writes Linda Lacek of Winter Park, Florida. "The colorful relish would be delicious alongside any grilled entree. It's also a tasty substitute for butter or baked potatoes!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
- MANGO RELISH:
- 1 large mango or 2 small peaches, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 11 ingredients; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the relish ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour; refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill pork chops, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with mango relish.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 217 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Mango Relish in Light & Tasty October/November 2001