Pork Chops with Citrus Sauce
I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to "spice up" a standard dish. When I fixed these pork chops for the first time, my husband—who has a hearty appetite for down-home cooking—commented, "You can make this anytime!"
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cup orange juice
- In a large skillet, brown chops in oil on both sides. Add water, paprika, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 35 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, grate peel from the stem end of the orange, then cut six slices from the other end. Set aside. In a saucepan over medium-high, combine 1 tablespoon peel, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in juice. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the orange slices; cover and remove from the heat. Serve chops with sauce and orange slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Orange Pork Chops in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook