Pork Chops with Apricot Rice
I came up with this recipe to use some of my favorite ingredients in a quick-to-fix entree. I love the combination of apricots, golden raisins and celery with the crunch of almonds. I've gotten raves with this distinctive pork chop dish. -Fayne Lutz, Taos, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) apricot halves, undrained
- 6 pork chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a blender or food processor, puree the apricots until smooth; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown pork chops in butter for 2-3 minutes on each side; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute celery until tender. Add rice, water, raisins, ginger, salt, pepper and apricot puree; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds.
- Pour into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place the chops on top. Cover and bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until the pork is no longer pink and the rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 510 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Apricot Rice in Taste of Home February/March 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.