Pork Chops with Apple Stuffing
During slow periods at the hospital where I once worked, we would gather and talk about creating culinary masterpieces. This recipe was one of our most successful creations! It's an impressive meal for company.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tart apple, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- Chicken broth
- In a skillet, brown bread crumbs in butter until golden; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Add crumbs, apple, egg and seasonings; mix well.
- Lay one pork chop flat; spoon a fourth of the stuffing on top of it. Top with another chop and secure with string. Repeat with remaining chops and stuffing. Stand chops vertically but not touching in a deep roasting pan.
- Fill pan with 1/4 in. of chicken broth. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Apple Stuffing in Country Extra November 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.