Pork Chops Ole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil; sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, combine the water, tomato sauce, rice and taco seasoning.
- Arrange chops over rice; top with green pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until rice and meat are tender. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Freeze option: Omit water and substitute 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice for the uncooked rice. Assemble casserole as directed. Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 515 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Feb 27, 2017
I got this recipe way back when it was in a "Crate o' Recipes" they used to sell in the store. It has been a long time since I made it but we had it for dinner last night and everyone was pleased the rice was cooked through and with tenderness of the chops. I liked the ease of putting it together.
Aug 12, 2016
My sweet guy and I loved this. I have done baked rice dishes a few times before and have learned to make sure to use a covered casserole dish as sometimes just foil as a cover doesn't hold in enough heat to cook the rice in the time described. The pork chops were perfectly tender. I used a homemade blended taco seasoning to make sure it was spicy enough for us, and put the green pepper in with the rice (instead of on top) along with a chopped onion and half a cup of corn so the rice would have lots of flavor, color, texture, and some vitamins. It's a casserole, you can usually sneak extra veggies in and on them, especially if they follow a flavor profile that matches (in this case Mexican.) I served it with cilantro, picante sauce, and fat free sour cream. Using extra lean pork and reduced fat cheese made this even heathier. I'll be making this again!
Mar 3, 2016
This was a very easy recipe to make with items that I had on hand. It is definitely a safe option with flavors that appeal to nearly everyone. That being said, nothing about it was really "wow" to me. As Peapod0114 noted, this would be a great recipe to use as a base and maybe jazz up a bit with some additions such as onion and garlic, or even switching it up to a bolder cheese.
Jan 7, 2016
This was an easy recipe to make. The chops turned out real tender. I didn't have green pepper but I had small sweet peppers that I used. I added onion and garlic. This is one of those recipes that you can really make your own and use this as your starting point. Thanks for sharing! As a reminder to other reviewers please remember to keep your comments constructive and kind.
Dec 7, 2015
I needed a quick recipe and found this in my recipe box. It was so easy to prepare. After reading the reviews, I'm guessing some of these people peeked into the casserole before it was done. It needs to be tightly covered for the whole baking time of 1.5 hours. The rice needs all that steam to cook thoroughly. I doubled every ingredient and it came out perfect ! My family, including my 5 yr old grandson, loved it !
May 16, 2015
I have been making this recipe since the 90sI debone pork chops, and I double the recipe except for chops . My family has always liked it,You can't ask for an easier tastier recipe.
Mar 15, 2015
My family did not like this recipe and asked me to throw it away. I agreed. Edible, but nothing great. My daughter loves spanish rice, but didn't like this. The chops were dry. The overall taste was boring.
Nov 11, 2014
The rice wasn't even near cooked by the time the chops were-used long grain white rice and followed recipe exactly. Chops were delicious, however, as I removed them when they were done. Had to leave the rice in the oven for a 1/2 hour longer.
Aug 19, 2013
This is my hubby's favorite pork chop recipe!! Chops always tender, great flavor!!
Jul 2, 2013
This dish has excellent flavor and the rice was delicious. I can not wait to make this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.