Pork Chop Veggie Medley
"I couldn't wait for dinner when my grandmother prepared this delicious pork chop dish topped with colorful vegetables," says Shirley Hulin of Los Osos, California. "Now I fix it for my family—it's one of the meals regularly requested by my husband."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 3 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the pork chops; brown on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove chops and onions with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Add water to drippings; bring to a boil, scraping any browned bits from pan. Return chops and onions to pan; add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in corn and zucchini; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes longer or until the vegetable are tender. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 418 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Pork Chop Veggie Medley in Light & Tasty October/November 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.