Pork Chop ‘n’ Kraut Dinner
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) Bavarian sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/2 cups water
- In a pressure cooker, cook pork chops in oil until lightly browned on each side; drain. Remove chops; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add sauerkraut to cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar. place pork chops and potatoes over sauerkraut; add water.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
May 21, 2015
My Mother made this for our family when I was a child. Always enjoyed this.
Feb 3, 2015
Great recipe that I have used several times. Lived in Germany for a few years while in Army and this is authentic. The only thing I do differently, which I learned in Germany, was the Germans always lightly rinse their Kraut and add apples or in a pinch applesauce to their kraut. But your right it has to be Bavarian.
May 25, 2013
So delicious. Brown sugar - brilliant. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the potatoes absorbed the flavors as well. I did lightly saute a sliced onion and add it on top. Perfect. Great company meal or quick family dinner.
Nov 12, 2011
This was wonderful. My husband was in Germany a total of 11 years while in the military and he loved this dish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.