Pork Chop ‘n’ Kraut Dinner
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) Bavarian sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/2 cups water
- In a pressure cooker, cook pork chops in oil until lightly browned on each side; drain. Remove chops; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add sauerkraut to cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar. place pork chops and potatoes over sauerkraut; add water.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
Nov 1, 2018
I have been making pork chops and kraut for about 40 years. Of German descent and never heard of using brown sugar. Wow! My husband used to pretty much just tolerate this dish, but he really likes it this way, and I super love it! So easy and so good!
May 21, 2015
My Mother made this for our family when I was a child. Always enjoyed this.
Feb 3, 2015
Great recipe that I have used several times. Lived in Germany for a few years while in Army and this is authentic. The only thing I do differently, which I learned in Germany, was the Germans always lightly rinse their Kraut and add apples or in a pinch applesauce to their kraut. But your right it has to be Bavarian.
May 25, 2013
So delicious. Brown sugar - brilliant. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the potatoes absorbed the flavors as well. I did lightly saute a sliced onion and add it on top. Perfect. Great company meal or quick family dinner.
Nov 12, 2011
This was wonderful. My husband was in Germany a total of 11 years while in the military and he loved this dish.