Pork Carnitas Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast or pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 3-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Shredded lettuce
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine pork, lime juice, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour; stir. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer or until meat is tender.
Shred pork with two forks. Spoon about 1/3 cup pork mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, avocados, tomatoes, onion, lettuce and, if desired, cilantro. Fold in bottom and sides of tortillas. Serve with salsa.
Freeze option: Before adding toppings, freeze cooled shredded meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving: 340 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Pork Carnitas
"I agree with the other reviews, not really a carnita, but very tasty. Will make again. I used a pork loin roast, but did not cut into cubes. Cooked whole roast (2 1/2 - 3 lbs). Didn't try out, but really doesn't need to cook that long to be tender. Time in crock pot OK if you need to get it on before work and have ready when you come home, however I would add some broth or wine or something to keep it most. Instead of onion, tomato, diced, I made some pico de gallo to put over it. Served with cheese, lettuce, and avocado on the side for more topping. Very tasty."
"This recipe was a hit! And SO much healthier than traditional carnitas which are fried! YUM!"