Pork Cabbage Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 pork tenderloin (3/4 pound), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients, reserving 2 tablespoons; set aside. Pour remaining marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar and pepper. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- Hollow out 1/2 in. from top and bottom halves of bread (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Combine mayonnaise and reserved marinade; spread over bread.
- Drain pork; discard marinade. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook pork in batches until no longer pink. Spoon cabbage mixture onto bottom half of bread; top with pork. Replace bread top. Cut into four sandwiches.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 363 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Jul 20, 2011
This is one of the best sandwiches. Now one of my husbands favorites.
May 27, 2010
Very tasty and a little out of the ordinary! This definitely makes it into our rotation!
Jun 5, 2009
Sounds very good. I'll be trying this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.