Pork BBQ Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- 1. Place the pork roast, water and salt in a Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove meat and discard bone; shred the meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Stir in the celery, steak sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili sauce, ketchup and shredded pork. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. In a large skillet over low heat, saute onions and sugar in oil and butter for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Serve pork and onions on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 422 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Pork BBQ Sandwiches
"I just made this for a dinner party, Everyone loved it. This was a wonderful recipe and the sandwiches turned out so good. I am definitely using this recipe again."
"5 stars, without a DOUBT! This was so easy to make and the results were INCREDIBLE! Yummy on crusty kaiser rolls with some of the au jus poured on top. With the leftovers, one night, I made some garlic bread with mozzarella and the kids made sandwiches "with a twist"...the garlic and cheese were a nice change up for leftovers. You've GOTTA try this!"
"I recently made this recipe for family and everyone absolutely loved it. Could almost double the onions!"
"Best pulled pork I have ever had. Don't skip the caramelized onions as a topper. The onions make it! This recipe will not disappoint anyone with a taste bud in their mouth!!"