Pork and Sweet Potatoes
My family enjoys sweet potatoes. A friend gave me this recipe a few years ago and I've made it often. It's a perfect fall meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown pork chops in oil. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a saucepan, combine orange juice, brown sugar, mace, ginger, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. pour over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Peel potatoes; cut into 1/3-in. slices. Brush with butter. Turn chops. Cover with potatoes; baste with pan juices. Cover and bake 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Remove chops and potatoes to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over pork chops and potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 468 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Pork and Sweet Potatoes in Country Extra November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.