Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes Recipe
This is a wintertime favorite in our home. The down-home flavors of pork and sauerkraut are complemented by potatoes and apples. The aroma is irresistible as it cooks.
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1. In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, onion, apples, corn syrup, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. Spoon half into a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with potatoes. Broil pork chops 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned; place over potatoes. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook 4-5 hours longer or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 471 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 6g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2009
crockpot couldn't hold the roast, the sauerkraut, the onion, apples, AND the potatoes, so I left the potatoes out and made mashed potatoes instead.It is by far the MOST moist pork I have EVER had. Definitely NOT your typical crockpot recipe. Absolutely declicious."
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC