This is a wintertime favorite in our home. The down-home flavors of pork and sauerkraut are complemented by potatoes and apples. The aroma is irresistible as it cooks.
Recommended: 15 Recipe Ideas for Oktoberfest
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
- In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, onion, apples, corn syrup, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. Spoon half into a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with potatoes. Broil pork chops 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned; place over potatoes. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook 4-5 hours longer or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes in Country Pork 1996, p64
Reviews forPork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2009
crockpot couldn't hold the roast, the sauerkraut, the onion, apples, AND the potatoes, so I left the potatoes out and made mashed potatoes instead.It is by far the MOST moist pork I have EVER had. Definitely NOT your typical crockpot recipe. Absolutely declicious."