Pork and Green Chili Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, brown pork and onion in oil in batches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the potatoes, water, hominy, chilies, tapioca, garlic, oregano and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender, stirring in cilantro during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 322 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 2, 2017
This is not the spicy pork stew that I was hoping it would be. My family didn't mind it but I will tweak the season more the next time we make it.
Sep 14, 2014
Was very bland. I have other pork stews that are better.
Sep 15, 2013
the whole family loved this version of posole, next time I'm adding more hominy! Also always use broth, instead of water
May 15, 2013
I doubled the recipe and added 2 TBS of Cumin and Mexican oregano and got raves. The only thing that was a bit off putting is the color of the stew. Once people got over the color and tasted the stew it went very quickly.
Dec 22, 2012
I have made this recipe many, many times. Instead of the water, use chicken broth. I also double the amount of cumin and substitute corn for the hominy.
Jan 24, 2012
My Recipe was modified when published. In the original I specify to use one can of mild chilies and one of hot. Two cans of hot if you like a real kick. The other modification was I use Tenderloin vs Butt.
Jan 23, 2012
I made it as directed and tasted it when it was almost done and it was very bland. I ended up adding another 2 cans of green chiles and 4 chicken bouillon cubes. After adding those things it was perfect.