Pork and Fruit Kabobs
"The original version of this recipe called for beef. But I use pork for a change of pace," shares Karen Salyer from Campobello, South Carolina. A delightful honey-sweetened marinade brings out the best in her healthy selection of vegetables and lean tenderloin cubes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min. + marinating
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 16 dried apricots, halved
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes; drain well. Pour remaining marinade into another resealable plastic bag. Add potatoes and zucchini. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain pork and discard marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wood skewers, alternately thread pork, potatoes, zucchini and apricots.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes, turning and basting with reserved marinade. Grill or broil 4-5 minutes longer or until meat run clear, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 354 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Pork and Fruit Kabobs in Light & Tasty August/September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.