Pork and Corn Barbecue
Traditional barbecued pork sandwiches are livened up with cumin and corn. Alongside a green salad and chips, this is a hot and hearty meal that's sure to please.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 16 hard rolls, split
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; remove. Keep warm and set aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Return roast to Dutch oven. Add the salt, cumin, oregano, water and vinegar. Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or a thermometer reaches 160°.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks; set aside. Skim off excess fat from pan juices. Stir in the barbecue sauce, corn and reserved pork; heat through. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Pork and Corn Barbecue in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.