Pork and Cabbage Pockets
I like to welcome my family home on fall days to the aroma of these hearty pockets. I sometimes double the recipe so I can have leftovers for busy-day dinners.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, onion, water, oregano, cumin, pepper and remaining salt. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and no liquid remains. Cool to room temperature. Punch dough down. Roll into a 24x12-in. rectangle; cut into eight 6-in. squares. Spoon 1/3 cup filling into the center of each square. Bring corners to the center and pinch to seal; pinch seams together. Place on a greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 pocket: 405 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Pork and Cabbage Pockets in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.