- 1 pound carrots
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds, cabbage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Cut carrots in half lengthwise and then into 2-in. pieces. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water, soup mix, garlic and celery seed. Cut roast in half; place over carrot mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 4 hours. Add cabbage; cook 2 hours longer or until the cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving plate; keep warm. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy and serve with the roast. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forPork and Cabbage Dinner
"The title says cooking time is 4 hours, but directions say 8. We found it a bit bland the first time I made it, so used a Southwest flavored roast the second time and it was a hit!"
"What a delicious flavor. This would be a great Sunday afternoon dinner. Was a little confused about the time schedule though. The prelim says 15 minute prep and 4 hours cooking, however, the recipe uses 6 hours. The temperature on the roast was at 170 degrees after 4 1/2 hours so I removed the roast and continued on with the cabbage by itself. It turned out great! I will definitely make it again."
"Pretty decent, but had way too much liquid."
"Very tender, lots of flavor! We will definatley make this dish again at our house. It was easy to cook since it was in the crock pot. It's pretty much a meal in itself but we liked some applesauce on the side. It was great!"
"This was great. My roast was at 160 degrees well before the six-hour mark, so I'll adjust the time next time. But the cabbage just melts in your mouth; the meat was very moist; and it made a definitely decent gravy. Big thumbs up to this one."