The combination of spices is key to this slow-cooked pork—it's my family's favorite burrito filling. The aroma that fills the air as the pork slowly simmers is like a Mexican restaurant. A perfect recipe for tailgate parties. —Valonda Seward, Coarsegold, California
Featured In: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- SPICE RUB:
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 10 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 3 cups canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked Spanish rice
- Optional toppings: salsa, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, sour cream and guacamole
- Mix spice rub ingredients; rub over pork. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix water and beef granules; pour around roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through.
Spoon a scant 1/3 cup shredded pork across center of each tortilla; top with a scant 1/3 cup each beans and rice. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Cool filling ingredients before making burritos. Individually wrap burritos in paper towels and foil; freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, remove foil; place paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, turning once. Let stand 20 seconds. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Pork, Bean & Rice Burritos in Freezer Meals Bookazine 2013, p91
Reviews forPork, Bean & Rice Burritos
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review