Porcini Ham Risotto
Milder in flavor than other hard cheeses, fontinella can be found in the specialty cheese section of your local grocery store.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (1 ounce) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, warmed
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 5 ounces fontinella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large bowl, soak mushrooms in boiling water for 5 minutes or until completely hydrated; drain. In a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in rice until completely coated with butter. Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until wine is absorbed. Add one can of broth; cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, adding one can at a time. Stir in the ham, cheese, salt and pepper; cook until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 363 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1348mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Easy Ham and Mushroom Risotto in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005