Poppy Seed Yeast Bread
"This light seeded loaf is our favorite for eating and giving as gifts," says Loretta Hill of Westminster, Maryland. "Everyone loves it as much as we do."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf, 16 slices (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup warm water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 131 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Yeast Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.