Poppy Seed Torte Recipe
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl; soak for 1 hour. Add vanilla. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add poppy seed mixture. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fold in egg whites. Spread into two well-greased and lightly floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans. Cool thoroughly. For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch, milk and egg yolks in a saucepan; cook until thickened and bubbly. Add vanilla, and nuts if desired. Split cakes in half and spread filling between layers. Chill. Before serving, dust top with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10-14 servings.
1 slice: 366 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Torte
"I made this recipe when it was first posted on Facebook a month ago. The family LOVED it. It is very European. Our family is from Germany and have trouble with some American desserts being far too sweet. This one is perfect."
"I made this today for the first time, but it won't be the last! easy to make, looks nice & is delicious. Took some to my 102 y.o. neighbor who said "my mother used to make something like this & it was wonderful". Hope she's not comparing me to her mother."