- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl; soak for 1 hour. Add vanilla. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add poppy seed mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fold in egg whites. Spread into two well-greased and lightly floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla and nuts of desired.
- Split cakes in half and spread filling between layers. Chill. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10-14 servings.
Reviews forPoppy Seed Torte
"I made this recipe when it was first posted on Facebook a month ago. The family LOVED it. It is very European. Our family is from Germany and have trouble with some American desserts being far too sweet. This one is perfect."
"I made this today for the first time, but it won't be the last! easy to make, looks nice & is delicious. Took some to my 102 y.o. neighbor who said "my mother used to make something like this & it was wonderful". Hope she's not comparing me to her mother."