- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, oil, lemon peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Thumbprints
Sort By :
"I made these for my mom's annual cookie exchange, and they were a hit!"
"MaryRose- If you bake a cookie 3 minutes longer than the recipe calls, of course they are going to come out hard. It has nothing to do with the amount of flour. Cookies always harden after baking, so if you take them out soft and doughy in the middle, they will be chewy when they are cool."
"I have been making poppy seed cookies for54 years, this recipe is so delicious and easyto make. I didn't have canola oil so I used Mazola oil. I used my homemade pineapple-plum jam. I also used a smallicecream scoop and I was finished makingthem in no time. I even filled 4 cookies with Nutella also very good. Had to hidesome for myself before the grandkids andbig kids got at them. This will be on my listto make again."
"LOVED this recipe! So easy to make...very tasty.I didn't have raspberry jam...so used rhubarb/strawberry jam instead. I didn't have enough jam for one pan of cookies so substitued mini chocolate chips instead of the jam. Delicious. This recipe is a keeper!"
"I used all butter and homemade raspberry jam. They look lovely and taste great!"