Poppy Seed Strawberry Pie
"The combination of flavors in this pretty dessert won me over the first time I tasted it," notes Kris Sackett, who lives with her family in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pints strawberries, divided
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice 1 pint of strawberries; fold into whipped topping. Spoon into pie shell. Cut remaining berries in half; arrange over top. Drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 279 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Strawberry Pie in Taste of Home April/May 2001