Poppy Seed Snack Crisps & Vegetable Spread
I developed these crunchy crisps as a fun and healthy snack for a wedding shower. They’re delicious with the homemade vegetable spread, or try them with preserves or jam. —Awynne Thurstenson, Siloam Springs, AR
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes34 dozen crisps (1 cup spread)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 4 cups bread flour
- VEGETABLE SPREAD:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small carrot, grated
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, poppy seeds, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into fourths. Shape each into a 13-in. long. Place on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Cut into 1/8-in. slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, place cucumber in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and garlic until smooth. Beat in carrot and cucumber. Serve with crisps. Store leftover crisps in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cracker with 1 teaspoon spread: 24 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.