Poppy Seed Quick Bread
Preparation time's kept to a minimum for Rosemarie Survillo's seeded treat. "It's a bread that you can make a day ahead of time, and then warm in the microwave moments prior to serving for just-baked appeal," she hints from her home in Lake St. Louis, Missouri.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavor or vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil, almond extract and butter flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 175 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1998