Poppy Seed Orange Muffins
When our whole family has the day off together, we like to start our day with muffins for breakfast. This recipe made me a runner-up winner in the baked goods division at our county fair.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the yogurt, orange juice concentrate, orange zest and extract. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 224 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Orange Muffins in Best of Country Breads