Poppy Seed Onion Bread
Field editor Sue Ashford of Bristol, Tennessee uses her bread machine for this golden-crusted savory loaf.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3-4 hours + cooling
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 104 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Onion Bread in Taste of Home April/May 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.